Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Michelle Obama's Vogue Cover

Is it just me or does Michelle Obama's Vogue feature this month feel a little, well, inappropriate somehow? Don't kill me. I'm all for some fashionable escapism, but isn't the most powerful part of Mrs. Obama's appeal entrenched in her steadfast devotion to REALness? During a time when the upper class are offing themselves and the working masses may soon head to the bread lines (yo, see ya there guys!), it just seems a bit surreal to read this cover story where the First Lady talks entertaining and clothes with Andre Leon Talley within the pages of a magazine that is consistently lambasted for being the queen of conspicuous consumption and unattainability, at least on the bathroom wall that is the blogosphere. (I even feel frivolous for writing such an awfully long run-on sentence, gah.) 

Does Michelle not run the risk of appearing somewhat Marie Antoinette-ish? Especially when her husband is literally going gray before our eyes and feverishly trying to prevent the next Great Depression (which has arguably already arrived)?

On the other hand, I know I'm being a great big spoil sport here, not to mention hypocritical. I certainly appreciate that it's always a step in the right direction when the consistently vanilla Vogue features an African-American woman on the cover. And I suppose we could all use a break from the mundane. But I wonder if President Obama--rumored to have admonished his wife for spending too much on clothing recently--wouldn't agree with me just a little?

No comments:

Post a Comment